Friday, April 27, 2012

Creamy Hazelnut Brussel Soup + Link Loves

This week started of gorgeously sun-drenched and warm and ended in frothy gray days and perpetual rain with a smell that made me want to move to Ireland. Fresh Dew perfume anyone? Yes, please!

Spring Sings by Mary Banducci I also wanted to give a shout out to Apple Brides! The tasting, mingling, and speaker at Nectar Tasting Room was exactly what I needed. Thank you so much for setting that up! And thank you to Alisa Lewis from the Attic for inviting me.

I know it's a little late (or early) to be talking about brussel sprouts but I had a bag of them in my freezer and am trying to eat up what we have. It's a delicious and simple recipe that contains five ingredients. Recipe below.

Some Friday Link Love first...

I have discovered Mavis's blog One Hundred Dollars A Month. She is witty and smart, particularly about gardening! This blog is all about how she feeds her family under $100 a month and I've appreciated all her posts.
I have wanted in the past to create seed tape as gifts. She has a great post on it. I love the idea of gardening for kids. There just doesn't seem anything better. I'm thinking it would be just as easy to make this gluten-free, anyone like a recipe? If so I will concoct one.
But above all, there is a picture tutorial for a Vertical Recycled Pallet Garden! I pinned this. I so want to do this now I just have to find a HT stamped pallet garden in good shape that no one wants. Any ideas?

Mavis pointed me to A Slow Year and Freegans. Isn't this awesome? It's all about foraging for food.

Edible Beauty by Mary Banducci And this last link, I love Vegetarian Times Magazine (available on Amazon). It's been so helpful in our journey to eat less meat and be dairy-free (includes lots of vegan options). I really appreciate this link about eating Flowers... It's a list you can print off and file away in your cookbook for future use. Can you just dream of the options? I'm thinking of some definite gourmet treats and salads I will be making with some of these edible beauties!

Also a really cool freebie - Ebook "Healthy Recipes for your Nutritional Type" by Dr. Mercola is available for download. You can print it off or save it on your computer. Do you know if you have a carb-type, protein-type, or mixed type metabolism? Found via Hip2Save.

Now for the recipe... This is super easy and very comforting. The miso and hazelnuts provide a creamy base for the brussel sprouts. There is not broth needed but would be just as delicious with. I like to drink this in cups with a boiled egg for breakfast. It's also delicious with toast for a mid-day meal.

Creamy Hazelnut Brussel Soup by Mary Banducci Creamy Hazelnut Brussel Soup
Ingredients:
1 package frozen Brussel Sprouts
1/2 c hazelnuts (or nuts of your choice)
2 T white miso (rice and soybean = gluten free)
2 cloves of garlic
Oil
Salt + Pepper


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F).
2. Toss brussels in oil. Roast for 10 minutes.
3. Add hazelnuts and garlic. Roast additional 10 minutes, tossing halfway.
4. Blend with 2 cups water (or more depending on preferred consistency) and miso.
5. Top with salt + Pepper. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...